Sunday, February 21, 2010

The story so far

It all started with steampunk. I was looking for a mini top-hat to use in the steampunk costume I was making for Anime Boston, and all of the available hats were either too expensive or too plain. I thought I'd decorate my own, but the brick-and-mortar craft stores were apparently fresh out of any miniature hats larger than 4" across, the online craft stores had larger hats but they looked cheap even in the pictures, and the rest of the Google hits I came up with were for overseas wholesale manufacturers. I began to see that there might be a niche market for high-quality miniature top hats that wouldn't break the bank, and before I knew it I was emailing a hat company in China to see about making an initial order. Many months, several dozen emails, and numerous shopping trips for supplies later, I managed to get started decorating hats. It's been easier than I thought in some respects, and a lot harder in others, but I'm happy with the overall results.

I've been making hats every few days, designs based on whatever I feel like creating at the moment, so I'll try to post them here as they're completed. All hats are available for sale, and I'll be setting up an Etsy store and/or another website to facilitate purchases. For the record, these hats are approximately 7" in diameter, made of 100% wool felt, and have elastic loops on the inside that slide onto the included black plastic headband (or can be anchored with bobby pins or clips). All hats are individually decorated by me. Hope you enjoy looking at them!

No comments:

Post a Comment