Sunday, February 28, 2010

Tatiana

I wanted to make this one very wintry, almost icy, so I picked out every silver or crystal element I had in my supply closet to see what I could put on it. I tried to keep things light and delicate by using the white tulle instead of a satin or heavier fabric as backing for the brocade, to counter the relatively heavy silver filigree. Originally I thought about naming this hat "Crystalline," but come on, it's an adjective, I can't name a hat after a noun modifier... so I picked something Russian instead, because let's face it, Russia is cold.

Tatiana



Delicate and sparkling as a snowflake, the Tatiana is similarly one of a kind. Intricate silver threadwork forms a starburst pattern at the top of the hat, which is echoed in the white and silver brocade that encircles the crown. White tulle peeks out from behind the brocade like the thinnest film of frost on a winter morning, and an acrylic jewel as clear as ice is wrapped in silver filigree and accented by tiny rhinestones and glass pearls. A fluffy white ostrich plume adorned with rhinestones rises into the clouds, and curling white feathers fall gently into place to provide a finishing touch to this crystalline creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment