Monday, March 1, 2010

Penelope and Phoebe

I really like the steampunk aesthetic, so I decided to branch out from the original orange/brown/gold color scheme I'd used for my first two steampunk hats, Ernestine and Emmeline. I have some great tweed that I knew would set off my feathers nicely, and going through my collection of acrylic jewels I thought that green and purple would be appropriate colors to start. I'm especially enjoying the curled feathers on the Phoebe (just run the spine of the feather over a butter knife), since I think they add some extra dimension to the hat, and peacock feathers are always fun to work with.

Penelope



Combining a classic tweed with the exotic allure of peacock feathers, the Penelope is steampunk with an edge. A forest green grosgrain ribbon is backed with a band of tweed in shades of burgundy and brown, and an emerald-colored acrylic jewel glitters from within an intricate brass filigree wrap to form the centerpiece of this lovely hat. Two coppery gears, a whimsical clock face in brass and ivory, and a tiny brass key provide steampunk accents without being stereotypically mechanical. Swirls of brass wire draw the eye upwards, where mottled guinea hen feathers and a single vibrant peacock eye add color and dimension. When people see you wearing the Penelope, they're sure to be green with envy!






Phoebe


If the Penelope is exotic steampunk, the Phoebe is steampunk turned slightly eccentric. Think of her as a librarian by day, with a secret identity only you can unravel. Traditional tweed is backed with iridescent violet dupioni silk for a touch of luxury, while a clear amethyst-colored acrylic jewel is set off to perfection by a wrap of brass filigree. Utilitarian gears in antique silver and bronze are softened by tiny brass flowers set with glass pearls, and a brass button adds to the eclectic mix. Brass wire swirls echo the stylish curl of the mottled guinea hen feathers that  provide a flirty twist-- literally!-- to this subtle-yet-fascinating hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment